Saturday, August 04, 2007

Out of the Mouths of Babes, VII

Tonight at dinner I said something about bread, and SillyBilly made a joke about cows being bred (can't remember what exactly -- must keep my Moleskine notebook at hand!). I told him that was a synonym, and explained that means two different words that mean the same, or almost the same, thing.

We have talked about antonyms before: hot/cold, dry/wet, in/out. And homonyms: sale/sail, meet/meat, pale/pail. But synonyms were new.

Then Napoleona pipes up: "Like plate/dish!"

Napoleona is 3 years old, and she can spontaneously think of a synonym.

Then SillyBilly said, "Mama, I want to do copy editing just like you do!"

We are in serious trouble.

3 comments:

Papa Bradstein said...

Yeah, when they're teenagers and start parsing your sentences, have fun. And let us know how you handle that because we might well have the same problem--er, I mean "fun"--here.

Henitsirk said...

Is there an editing gene? Given the number of basic spelling and grammar errors I see every day, it must be recessive.

Mitch McDad said...

Perfect. Can you have them proof my dyslexic mess. My wife calls me the human typo.